Anime Armageddon

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Anime Armageddon

The Funnest of Funs

+2
Sadhbh
quater
6 posters

One Piece is Number One in the World

quater
    quater
    Commander

Male Posts : 7215

One Piece is Number One in the World Empty One Piece is Number One in the World

Post by quater Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:10 pm

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-11-30/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series/2011

So I saw this, and you might have already seen it but One Piece is the top selling series in Japan. By 30 million volumes this year! That's amazing. It outsold Naruto by about 6 times, and is greater than the other 7 below it, combined.

One Piece sold around 6 million copies in 2008, 14+ million copies in 2009, 32 million copies in 2010, and now 38 million in 2011.

That's a tremendous jump!

It's sold more than any other literature in Japan, too. The series before it being Harry Potter. So OP is now more popular than Harry Potter, in a country that thought Harry Potter was the bees knees.

It has also sold more than Dragon Ball has. Altogether its sold over 230 million copies. So, OP is also more popular than Dragon Ball.

And that's without international support, as the rest of the World still has not caught on to OP!

Its Anime also often is first or second in ratings.

Naruto was the top selling Manga volume in America and many other countries. But maybe someday the rest of the World will catch on to what Japan already knows. ^^

And either way, One Piece is the top selling Manga in history. The only thing that sells more than One Piece, is One Piece. (Each volume that comes out seems to be breaking the record of the previous selling volume).

One Piece was the first series to sell more than 2 million copies of a single volume, and it did it in one week. Man.

For those of you wondering what the best series are, the money speaks for itself.

Also, I love this list because Bleach came in a well deserved 8th. While Toriko, Gintama, AoNo Exorcist, Naruto, Fairy Tail, and Bakuman all did pretty respectable. Bleach used to always rank second or third. There was even a time when OP was below Naruto and Bleach. Ah, the old old days, hm?

One more thing to note here: Toriko and especially Fairy Tail are both new series (relatively, although Fairy Tail has been around for years now) that garnered a LOT of there original work from OP. Especially Fairy Tail, which for a long time was regarded as a clone of One Piece, although now its definitely its own work. Toriko was surely inspired by Fist of the North Star, Dragon Ball Z, but there's no doubt that OP played a work in it, too. After all, the series first episode broadcast did a crossover with OP, and that's by no coincidence.

So taken even bigger, not only is One Piece the Manga that has slot number one to itself by a tremendous margin (the other series don't even come in the same ballpark), but it also was a huge inspiration for the series in slot number #4 and #5.

As someone who is a fan of the top 8 works (yes, even Bleach though I feel it has fallen a lot) and #12's Sket Dance and #15's Beelzebub, I feel these are good times. Can't argue with any of the top selling 8!

Edit: For those interested in 2010's list, here: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-11-30/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series/2010

Its nice, because Bleach dropped 3 spots. Fairy Tail held onto its slot. Gintama jumped a slot. And Toriko, Bakuman, Blue Exorcist, etc all got on the board. Naruto sold a little less than last year in 2011. But whatever. Anyway. The only thing that might trouble you is that FMA dropped several slots from 2010 to 2011. But remember that's because FMA ended. So its still doing pretty good to even be selling!
    Sadhbh
    Sadhbh
    Civilian

Male Posts : 53

One Piece is Number One in the World Empty Re: One Piece is Number One in the World

Post by Sadhbh Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:42 pm

Ah love stats like this, i remember like about 1-2 years ago when One piece finally beat Dragonball in total sales. That was awesome see. And that 7x/6x times lead really is amazing if u think about it, its close to outselling the top 9 others (i didnt look at the maths it might be more)

Tho the big thing about this is from a westerns POV is how messed up the US manga charts are (and due to that all of us Europeans get it even worst) I hate america for ruining One Pieces foreign launch :P Although one piece was the 1st anime that i saw that i relised was an anime as a kid but we got that terribad dub (which i might add i thought was good till i found out how bad it was compared to the real thing)

1 major thing u can point out is how the most popular anime in a country is the 1st to get there, One piece was the 1st in Japan out of the big 3 (big 3 by american standards we all know only OP and sometime Naruto are the only ones consistantly in the top 3 in Japan) In america after DB and DBZ (i hate using DBZ even tho ive never watched/read it cause im a manga fan and in the manga there is no DBZ) Naruto was the 1st to be licenced, then bleach and lastly OP which launch was recked for many year and is just now getting back on track in US. Naruto and Bleach are getting so bad now i cant see how ppl can still like them (dont get me wrong they were amazing to start with and im pretty sure Bleachs 1st 2 arcs for me might be my fav starting arc of all time) But hey wat can u do, kinda glad naruto never came out in Ireland 1st or i might be a naruto fan (how is blinded by the past chapters and cant see its badness now) now LOL

From the 2011 top ten i think ive not read Toriko & Gintama, ive read 20+ chapters of Toriko but i cant get into it. It just not my cup of tea, just cause Toriko is kinda a dick, and has no real character development :D And i dont read Kimi ni Todoke just cause its prob to girly for me. Theres a good few i really like scattered around the top 30 too
    quater
    quater
    Commander

One Piece is Number One in the World Empty Re: One Piece is Number One in the World

Post by quater Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:28 pm

I felt the same exact way about OP as you did. "Oh this is fun." *After watching Japanese OP* "What the heck was that!?"

But don't hate America, blame 4 Kids. Funimation, also American, was the one that made a good OP :P

DBZ is fine and the Mangaka doesn't mind it, so I see no reason not to call it that. ^^ It's better than the term being vulgar or weird, which is what it would be without the Z (the name they were planning on using!).

Are you sure about that order of Anime? I remember watching One Piece one night when I first started seeing commercials for the series Naruto coming out on Toonami. I know Toonami is not a bearer on licensing but still.

Naruto is getting better. As someone who feels a lot like you do on these series, I can say that Naruto has been trending a lot better. Lately. You gotta know, most hardcore Naruto fans never really touched other Animes, so they think they're getting good stuff. If you've only ever known Vanilla Ice Cream, then when you think Ice Cream you think its good! How were you supposed to know Cookies N Cream is so much better?

But I agree with you that it does show how skewed the American charts are and I completely blame the way OP 4 Kids dubbed was treated over Toonami. The West still has a long ways to catch up on that big mistake. You also have to remember that Westerners have a lot of people that try not to be mainstream which means avoiding good series simply because of their popularity. How stupid, in my opinion.

As someone who has been watching the Toriko Anime all day to catch up, I can honestly say I don't really see him that way at all. Toriko is just manly. Its kinda nice to have a protagonist that is manly and doesn't hide it. I like the fact that he can be nonchalant and focuses on things that matter to him. Too many characters nowadays are just 90% wuss with little moments of manliness where everyone goes, "Oh so that's their real strength!?" I like someone who's tough and knows it. But hey, that's me.

Gintama is extremely vulgar. But its also one of the best series ever made. You can check my Anime list for my detailed commentaries on both those series.

Yeah, I won't try Kimi.
    Sadhbh
    Sadhbh
    Civilian

Post by Sadhbh Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:47 pm

writing this quick just to respond to the release dates part, yh ur right, i got my info from someone i talked to ages ago from the us and i just believed him. Looks like there was give or talk 9-12month difference in release time with OP coming 1st

Ah i can blame america its common place in Europe to make joke about the US even if in this case it was only a dig at 4Kids but that dub sucked so much i need to vent it out hahah. Na i cant do it, ill keep the Z out to seperate me from the anime ppl, manga ppl ftw haha and come on Dragon Ball or Dragon Ballz ^^ Dragon Ballz is plural so its more vulgar :P

Hmm on Naruto, its only getting better cause its all fights, to me it is kinda dragging it all out and some of the fights are dull and although i think Naruto is ok i cant stand the fecking eye power shizzle its like
    look into my eyes, look weird eyes One Piece is Number One in the World 427495 oh noes im deaded! .........as a side note Vanilla Ice Cream is the bomb :P

Last edited by Sadhbh on Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edited for more info)
    SammyTheBootlegger
    SammyTheBootlegger
    Major

Post by SammyTheBootlegger Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:28 pm

I'm curious about a few of those. Gantz (which I've heard about a lot) and that Shingeki no kyojin.

I'm glad that Deadman Wonderland made it in the top 30, too. Although, man - Soul Eater was a lot lower than I thought it would be.
    quater
    quater
    Commander

Post by quater Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:22 pm

Yeah, I was surprised by how sucky Soul Eater did, too!

Also curious about Gantz.
    Sadhbh
    Sadhbh
    Civilian

Post by Sadhbh Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:39 pm

SammyTheBootlegger wrote:I'm curious about a few of those. Gantz (which I've heard about a lot) and that Shingeki no kyojin.

I'm glad that Deadman Wonderland made it in the top 30, too. Although, man - Soul Eater was a lot lower than I thought it would be.

Gantz is a must watch/read if u like gore,adult mangas, the anime is only 20+ but the manga is 430+ chapters. I like it, the plot is really good, it story kinda doesnt get better in the later chapters and i know that at one plot point i stopped reading cause i hated it but wen i read it (aka i was at up to date at the time and left it for a year and wen i read it again i got past the next few chapters i found out it wasnt that long of a plot point and it only lasted 15-20chapters ish). The art is amazing and very detailed, the story is interesting if not a little far fetched and some of the characters ull get to like.

Deadman WOnderland is cool tho its kinda lowering its quality in recent chapters....:( still good tho

Soul Eater is a monthly manga so its manga books arent as big or as numerous as weekly manga. Eg if 10 ppl buy OP and 10 buy Soul Eater (i only know weekly manga book chapters so if monthly ones are diff the maths wont be correct) Weekly manga series books have like 10-12chapters average per book, so one chapter per week = 10 weeks for one book while for monthly series its 10months.

Therefore if 10 people buy the OP book over a 10 month period u get 10x6 sales. With Monthly one u get 10x1 in the same time span so that would make it have lower sales then others. If that makes sence to u guys
    quater
    quater
    Commander

Post by quater Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:35 pm

Ah, that explains D.Gray-man's sales, too!

Hm, I don't really love Adult series like that, actually. I like my Anime and Manga happy, usually. Not that I haven't seen plenty of the darker stuff (like Ergo Proxy... what a creeper series), but its not usually my cup of tea!

Hm, I just don't know if I have enough time, either!
    Kai
    Kai
    Captain

Male Posts : 2458

Post by Kai Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:17 pm

COOL. . . just saw this now. u__u
    One piece is really getting interesting.

Deadman wonderland on the other hand. . didn't like the anime.
    They cut off alot of the main charas in the manga.

D.Gray-man got back on it's feet! but really slow on updating
    quater
    quater
    Commander

Post by quater Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:16 pm

I am still not sure what the heck is going on in D.Gray-Man, but hey, I like the series so I keep reading. ^^

Kai
    Kai
    Captain

Post by Kai Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:30 pm

they're starting to transform and complicate allen's life. :))
    SammyTheBootlegger
    SammyTheBootlegger
    Major

Post by SammyTheBootlegger Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:27 pm

I didn't know there was a Deadman Wonderland manga!
    TheFirstKnight
    TheFirstKnight
    Grunt

Male Posts : 400

Post by TheFirstKnight Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:00 am

Judging from the The Q's anime list and preferences, I do not think Gantz is something he would enjoy.
    SammyTheBootlegger
    SammyTheBootlegger
    Major

Post by SammyTheBootlegger Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:08 pm

Why??
    Amaterasu
    Amaterasu
    Grunt

Male Posts : 164

Post by Amaterasu Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:49 pm

Can't argue with your post Q. One Piece is the best. I'm trying to get my roommate into One Piece, but he really like Bleach.
    Kai
    Kai
    Captain

Post by Kai Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:03 am

aw come on. . . . bleach? one piece is better. make him watch the marineford arc. :P

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 am