Anime Armageddon

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Anime Armageddon

The Funnest of Funs

+12
neon kun
Bakura
TheFirstKnight
KarateKeyaQ
SammyTheBootlegger
Shadow Raver
Kai
Ghost
Yoyo
Mikel
Destinykil
quater
16 posters

Q's Anime/Manga List

SammyTheBootlegger
    SammyTheBootlegger
    Major

Q's Anime/Manga List - Page 14 Empty Re: Q's Anime/Manga List

Post by SammyTheBootlegger Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:56 am

TheFirstKnight wrote:
    SammyTheBootlegger wrote:I feel like I have seen a few episodes but I'm not sure O_o It's the one with really scrawny looking chicks, yeah??

Aren't most anime girls scrawny?

Some. but these ones take it to the extreme.
    TheFirstKnight
    TheFirstKnight
    Grunt

Male Posts : 400

Post by TheFirstKnight Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:41 am

Well the anime/manga kind of explains why the Claymores are skinny.

Anyways, back to more recent news, I have started watching Code Geass and it is very good, albeit depressing at times.
    Bakura
    Bakura
    First Lieutenant

Male Posts : 1208

Post by Bakura Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:09 pm

Geass was a good one. I haven't seen Claymore yet though, but people keep recommending it to me.
    SammyTheBootlegger
    SammyTheBootlegger
    Major

Post by SammyTheBootlegger Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:56 pm

Code Geass... I think I even re-watched that one. And I have also heard Claymore be recommended a few different times. There was this article for it in AI before it was cancelled.
    quater
    quater
    Commander

Male Posts : 7215

Post by quater Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:47 pm

I re-watched Code Geass a few times. Back in the day, as they say.

Been a while since I've been on here, but its also been a while since I've done much with my Anime.

Fell behind in all my series, haha. I'm so smooth.

Caught up in One Piece recently. The Fishman arc is a lot better animated, I gotta say. Its fun. Its still the second coming of Skypeia, but hey.

OP the Anime is about 40 chapters behind OP the manga. (Random thought there.) About a year, just a slight less. Man, we've been in the Fishman arc a long time. I'll be happy when it's over. But it wasn't bad, just not great. Too much emotional sappiness at times. I didn't love that.

Just finished the series Ao No Exorcist (Blue Exoricst). Even though it ended at the beginning of October I was too busy to finish it then.

You can definitely tell the end was all written in as filler, but it wasn't bad. I enjoyed it either way. I just wish the series had continued down the path it was going, but the Manga was too short for that. Still, grade A series. Rating it 8 so far.

I have a lot I need to catch up and have been catching up on. Caught up in the Manga of Fairy Tail and Cage Of Eden. Both are enjoyable, especially Cage Of Eden.

I still need to finish No. 6. More just to cross it off my list than anything.

Other series I need to catch up on:
    Sket Dance, Toriko, Beezlebub, Bakuman, Fairy Tail (Anime), Bleach (? maybe not), and Gintama.

Shippuden still hasn't finished filler-ing, geez. Also a friend of mine has demanded I read the Kenichi Manga. I may, although its more ecchi than my taste allows.

So yeah, plenty to do here. I let every series get ahead of me except the mangas of OP, Naruto, Bleach, Bakuman, and D.Gray-Man.

But whatever. Getting back in there. The nice part is when I catch up in all these series I'll be done with Ao No Exorcist and No. 6 so it won't be on my list anymore and it'll be easier to keep up with the ones I have.

Hm, what else is there? Oh yeah, if I have just loads of free time I may pick another Anime and finish it just so I can have my list at an even 45. But, that's very unlikely. I also have a lot of books I want to read.

Anyway, that's my Winter Break Anime-Manga plans. When I fell behind I sorta scheduled to catch up this Winter Break. Should be fun. I'll update here as I go, or so.
    TheFirstKnight
    TheFirstKnight
    Grunt

Post by TheFirstKnight Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:58 pm

I finished watching Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex. I thoroughly enjoyed the Laughing Man story arc but I must say that the filler episodes were mostly awful. I would have much preferred if the season were 13 episodes of Laughing Man story as opposed to the full 25 episodes with most of it filler.
    quater
    quater
    Commander

Post by quater Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:14 pm

I agree with you, TFK. The Laughing man story was interesting, though I must say I felt it ended rather cheesily. But the filler was unbearable. I ended up skipping the second half of the series just to watch The Laughing Man story and not the Filler.

Caught up in the second season of Bakuman. Really enjoying this series. The second season is much quicker paced than the first one, making it rather enjoyable. Its kind of sad, though, because the Anime is like 100-120 chapters behind the Manga. But on the other hand, it gives you a chance to remember the early days of the series. Hiramaru and Yoshida being added into the story makes it so much more enjoyable. They are absolutely hilarious and have an amazing dynamic. Bakuman season 2 is just a really good show that's a lot of fun to watch. Bakuman is amazing, though, so that's not that surprising.

Caught up in OP, caught up in Bakuman.

What next? I'll figure that out, I guess. But right now, Christmas music!
    quater
    quater
    Commander

Post by quater Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:23 pm

Just writing this somewhere so I don't forget.

Look into: Gantz, Deadman Wonderland, and Hunter X Hunter (2011).

I have heard a lot about H x H but it was too long and old to get into. Remakes my life easier? Heck yes!
    Kai
    Kai
    Captain

Male Posts : 2458

Post by Kai Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:27 am

HxH is good. and I'll totally suggest deadmanwonderland
    quater
    quater
    Commander

Post by quater Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:00 am

Eh, it all depends on if I have time or not....

I just finished catching up on Toriko! That was fun. Now Fairy Tail.

Then Beelzebub, No. 6, Sket Dance....
    Kai
    Kai
    Captain

Male Posts : 2458

Post by Kai Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:32 pm

No.6 is kinda short. but its good. :P
    i dont watch it though just read through the manga. tell me about what you think about the anime version of no.6 if you finish it. :P
    quater
    quater
    Commander

Post by quater Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:48 pm

I was already halfway through No. 6 I just need to finish it.

The main thing I remember about it is that it's very Yaoi/gay..........

And the story wasn't amazing. But maybe it'll get better in the last few episodes.
    quater
    quater
    Commander

Post by quater Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:38 pm

Cage of Eden released 4 chapters today! Woo! ^_^

This pyramid mystery stuff is interesting. I think they're gonna fight a giant snake! I just have a hunch. Watch out for the giant snake.

No, I have no idea. But I love the series. Miina is out and about, Yarai is heading to the Pyramid with his army, and the teacher and Oomori are gonna do stuff, too! Things will get crazy, hey!

Let's see. Finished catching up on Fairy Tail! But now I am sad, because there is no more awesome Fairy Tail to watch. I really do love the show. Its one of my all time favorites its just so playful and fun yet epic all at the same time.

Now its time to crusade through No. 6 and then onto Beelzebub or Sket Dance!
    quater
    quater
    Commander

Post by quater Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:49 am

Let's see.

Finished No. 6. Glad to be over with it. Let's see, other than the overkill Yaoi, the annoying socio-political messaging, the "trying too hard to be artistic" feel, and the random obnoxious singing, it was alright. It wasn't great, but it wasn't very good. I am glad to have it checked off more than anything. But, it wasn't the worst series I'd ever seen by far, so.

Caught back up in Gintama. This was very enjoyable. Ah, Sakomoto, I forgot how funny you were. I love his laugh! Mostly cause it's kinda like mine.... and yeah, the rescue Elizabeth arc had some really funny stuff. Like Shinpachi being the Robot pimple, oh man. And of course it had such epic drama, too. I thought the real Elizabeth had left! How could I not notice it was just Monday's Elizabeth? Silly me.

Catching up in Beelzebub. I must have just been in a boring episode patch before because all the episodes I've watched since I started again are both exciting and very funny. But, Beelzebub was always funny. I think they just threw in some filler or something to mess with my memory. I am also pretty excited to see some of these fights that are clearly coming up! Woo for fights!

Almost done with my big Anime catch-up.
    quater
    quater
    Commander

Post by quater Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:46 am

Very close to catching up in Beelzebub.

Finished all the new episodes of stuff I'd been stalling on.

OP has epic foreshadowing is what I realized from watching this weeks episode and comparing it to this weeks chapter. Perfectly in sync, those two!

Bakuman was a good one. Except Miyoshi was crying. I wanna kill Takagi every time that happens. I love that girl!

Toriko was good-ish. Not great, but still good. Like this series. Even if it can be slow to get through at times.

Sadhbh
    Sadhbh
    Civilian

Male Posts : 53

Post by Sadhbh Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:29 pm

Heyz Q

I think u recommended Gintama to read so i am. I just finished the 1st chapter and even though it looks great i picked up the subtle hint that the manga is suggesting. Now this seems it be a good manga and i am not commenting on it, more on the author and how he was raised/country he grew up in.

Based on that 1st chapter i think he is suggesting non Japanese people are "bad". I know Japan is one of the most "racist" countries in the 1st world (and i dont mean racist like 1900 america but more racist like lets not mingle with non japanese or japanese are slightly better then other ppl). Now i see this as the story (1st chapter) is mirrored completely with what happened to Japan in our world. With foreigners entering Japan, the decline of Samuri and traditional japanese customs and the intergration of most japanese to this new way of life.

I just think its a subtle bit of racism on the part of the author and not cause hes racist or promoting racism but mainly cause in Japan this is not considered to be bad. Heres an example, u know the word gaijin, gaikokujin aka person (or people) from outside of the country. It means foreigner, and im not offended by this fyi i think its stupid lol Japanese will use this word outside of Japan eg Jpn student in USA everyone else is gaijin but they arent a gaijin even in america on their own.

Its meaning is u know stupid its a mechanism for seperation and this is what i hate as the english word foreigner although maybe worst then the japanese word has no racism in the word. Like its a word used infering racism but its not a word were only one social group can use that also infers racist ideas.

Sry long rant, but its one of my pet peaves cause im a biologist and i know meaningless these social differences are but i hate seeing it even in Japan (which i love) but its these skin deep ideas that (mostly the older Japanese generation) have that i cant stand. And heres hoping that the whole manga series doesnt depict non Japanese/samuri as bad people.

Even if it does lol ill read it and enjoy it (based on the 1st chapter which i liked) It has no impact on my enjoyment haha its just a nice disscussion point to find were an author unconsciously is leaking ideas which found mainly in countries were there is low rates of foreign populations like Japan.
    quater
    quater
    Commander

Post by quater Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:29 pm

First: I do not think foreigner implies racism or anything like that. If someone is a foreigner, they aren't from that country and are foreign. What else would we call them? I'm sorry, and I could be wrong, but I just got the impression of super political correctness from you in that. And yeah, I can't stand political correctness. It destroys, not creates.

Second: I agree that biology has nothing to do with it, but there is a big difference in people's cultures and that can cause them to see the world differently. Nothing wrong with noting that because even though we are all human that doesn't mean we see the world the same or were raised similarly at all. Different cultures can be pretty plainly seen, too. Someone raised in a tribe in Africa is pretty easy to differentiate from a crowd of Islamic believers or a group of Canadians. Its okay to look at cultures and see their differences, and pretending that they're not there is silly. (Again, I dislike political correctness, you have no idea.)

Third: Gintama is extremely Japan-centric, and that's why it hasn't been translated. But I don't think that it's trying to say all non-Japanese are bad. More or less, its that the show relies on a looooot of Japanese culture for its jokes. Actors, events, history, etc are so meshed in Japanese culture that a lot of jokes would go right over Americans heads and other western country's heads, hence it hasn't been translated yet. Although, I think the Manga is now being translated, but yeah the Anime.

Fourth: Even though its Japanese-centric, I don't think it tries to support racism, bigotry, or any of those things, really. The person who wrote it I am pretty sure was just looking for an interesting way to use the Shinsengumi and mix silliness with seriousness. I could be wrong, but considering just how much fun the series spends poking fun at Japan, I'd argue you could see it as the opposite, too. That Japanese people treated foreigners like they were evil aliens trying to cling onto their traditions while embracing the part of westernism they liked. When real men would embrace protecting all life, as Gintoki often saves aliens from bullies, even human/Japanese ones!

Or, it was just a silly idea the author had. Usually I am good at reading the subtext but this series is SO incredibly silly, I would not be surprised if there was not any greater meaning there. And, the author of Bakuman based Hiramaru, the guy who writes Otters 11, off of the guy who writes Bakuman. So, you can see how it just really might be silliness mixed with epic. Either way, its really funny and really epic. And to be honest, even if it is pro-Japanese, its slightly noticeable in my opinion, as I never noticed it. I can handle someone saying Japan is the best it doesn't bother me, and if it bothers you, well, don't be sensitive :P
    Sadhbh
    Sadhbh
    Civilian

Post by Sadhbh Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:49 pm

Lol righto i dont think u got anything i was saying :D I was pointing out the obviously plot based simialarities to how Japanese people felt and alot still now feel now about westerners coming to Japan and the overall decline in traditional japanese ways. Which lead to racism in Japan which is still present today.

For ur 1st point i agreed with u, if fact thats what i said, the english word does not imply racism while the japanese word does. Ur beef with political correctness has nothing to do with this convo, i state facts. In fact i dont care about this, nor am i offended haha i simpliy stated a fact on how gaijin implies mild racism due to its meaning only applies to non Japanese and cant be used by anyone else. Aka america can call english foriegners and vis versa it has no boundaries to it and tho it can be used by racists, it not a racist word

2nd I dont care about sillyness in other cultures but basic rules apply for me, i dont care if u country has always slapped a child i think its immoral, etc (that was a made up example) Again political correctness has nothing to do with it, mild racism is still bad to me even if a culture grew up with it, the same as mild infractions of human rights is bad for me too.

3rd i watch sket dance, i know japanese culture joke etc, i was talking about the underlying plot not the actual plot lol

4th Not once did i say it supported racism >.< i said its in normal japanese culture and it leaked into this manga, just cause its normal there and it not seen as bad.
    I'd argue you could see it as the opposite, too. That Japanese people treated foreigners like they were evil aliens trying to cling onto their traditions while embracing the part of westernism they liked.
    Im not sure wat u meant by this as, my whole point was this exact statement haha

Again i was talking about subplot, u dont read macbeth and go scots fighting over power. U talk about how its is a plot dealing with how humans can cope with Ambition, Deceit, Temptation and Guilt. And how maddening power can be when it is built on the grounds of disloyalty and murder.

So again i hope u can see how it has to be based on the mild japanese racism and on european/americans negative influeance on traditional japan. And lastly im not political correct if u know me u know this haha but if u cant see obvious mild foundation for racism towards other cultures (and infact usa/europeans have less racism put to them then africans or koreans in japan) and call it as what it is, a fact. U cant review manga/book outside the box if u dont take in were they get their influence from.

I dont like countries that have either mild/hardcore racism or dont follow basic human rights. I dont care if its their culture its wrong and its my pet peeve with japan as for such a good 1st world country with human rights it way behind when it comes to race, its like usa in the 50s fact. Woman and non japanese are not equals in male japan, im sure u miss read my post as it had nothing to do with politian correctness and me being sad about different cultures :D I hope u see wat i meant now
    quater
    quater
    Commander

Post by quater Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:54 pm

Sorry, if I got confused by some of what you were saying it was because you weren't exactly 100% clear. I am aware that this series revolves around how Westerners opened up Japan to the World, as that is what the plot is based on? But I don't believe there is implied racism behind it as you are suggesting, is my main point.

Again, you were pretty unclear and when you brought up how all biology is the same, it sounded like you were stating all people are the same. Yes, but we were raised so differently we can see things very differently, as I said. This has nothing to do with the point of absolute truths? Which I would agree with you on, though I do believe spanking is fine?

To me, it sounded like your point was: This show seems to think Japan is the best, as most Japanese think that, and it bothers me because I, as a biology student, believe all mankind to be equal. I don't disagree with half this, but I did disagree with what sounded like you saying that the series says that all Japanese are the best? Then you went on to talk about how it was a cultural phenomena.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you're going to be annoyed by every country that has problems with race or human rights, you're going to be annoyed by every country, period. Yes, that includes Europe, America, Canada, any country facing this world has some problem with racism or human rights. But the West has made great strides forward, at least.

To a degree I am sorta seeing what you're saying, I guess. I hope you don't take offense, but it was just somewhat unclear in how you wrote it. I am partially to blame because it sounded like you were throwing political correct blahbity goo my way, but I am still not completely sure what you're point is. Are you saying Gintama is trying to support Japan as the best, or are you saying that Gintama was criticizing that mindset?
    quater
    quater
    Commander

Post by quater Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:57 pm

Sorry if I seem argumentantive, by the way, Sadbhahsla or whatever you spell that thing. :P

Finished catching up in Beelzebub. Absolutely love the series. Its gotten way better. I am actually really looking forward to how it goes. Who knew it was gonna get that good. And funny. The series is almost as random as Gintama at times. (Okay, nothing is as random as Gintama, but the last few episodes half the main cast were playing an online video game...) Also love the fact that most of the early characters stay important.

Anywho, Sket Dance and then I've caught up in all my series. Woohoo! Maybe Hunter x Hunter then. Although I kind of want to see some real life series: Rules of Engagement, Community, The New Girl, and Psych have all caught my eye.
    TheFirstKnight
    TheFirstKnight
    Grunt

Post by TheFirstKnight Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:13 am

I enjoy watching Community. I highly recommend it. Another good sitcom is How I Met Your Mother.
    quater
    quater
    Commander

Post by quater Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:23 pm

Haha, I already watch that show, TFK. And have for quite a while. Love that series. Especially this season, which seems to be better than season 5 and 6 were. I couldn't stand Zoey.
    Sadhbh
    Sadhbh
    Civilian

Post by Sadhbh Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:24 pm

Yes Sadbhahsla finds u argumentantive haha (jk)

In the same way as H.P. Lovecrafts work has negative racial tones due to racial attitude at the time, a reflection of the society he grew up in. THe same is said for Gintama. It doesnt imply it, just like modern Japan doesnt imply it, but it is a negative underlying tone that i would say is probally to subtle for Japanese readers or even the author to see, since they grew up in this culture.

I am annoyed by every country that has problems with race or human rights, but minority racist are different to country that have racism due to unknowns. Ireland has like 95% irish people, with the majority of the remaining 5% being being more europeans. Yet i would see more racism to the black population, not volient racism just more bitching lol ANd this is the same as in Japan but worst as its 1.5% non japanese with 1.2 of that being Asian and they had recent occupation of foriegn armies (still to this day) due to the war. Which adds to mild angry by some of the population

Finally on a serious note, at spanking i hope i missread that as spanking is stupid, no sane human uses pain as a motivation tool. I was spanked and i turned out fine is not a good reason as both my nieces and nephew are not spanked and they are fine too. So really it boils down to if u want to inflict pain to teach or use other punishments and explaination. I cant see the how hurting something that is weaker and trying to understand the world for the 1st time is good. U can teach a child that the fire is dangerous without sticking their hand in the fire and anyone that can hurt a child doesnt deserve to have one :(

I would hope u would reconsider this and maybe read the 100s of papers on this too.

So lol back to normal talk, i tried Beelzebub but didnt get tooo far into it and now ive like millions of other series to try
    TheFirstKnight
    TheFirstKnight
    Grunt

Post by TheFirstKnight Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:54 pm

quater wrote:Haha, I already watch that show, TFK. And have for quite a while. Love that series. Especially this season, which seems to be better than season 5 and 6 were. I couldn't stand Zoey.

I agree, but I did think the Captain was pretty awesome. I am also thinking of watching Homeland, it sounds interesting to me and I do enjoy watching Damien Lewis.
    quater
    quater
    Commander

Post by quater Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:56 pm

TheFirstKnight wrote:
    quater wrote:Haha, I already watch that show, TFK. And have for quite a while. Love that series. Especially this season, which seems to be better than season 5 and 6 were. I couldn't stand Zoey.

I agree, but I did think the Captain was pretty awesome. I am also thinking of watching Homeland, it sounds interesting to me and I do enjoy watching Damien Lewis.

Ah! I forgot the Captain. He was awesome, hands down the best side character they ever had in the series, except maybe Marshall's boss, Arthur. I've heard of Homeland but I don't really know what its about.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:52 pm