Anime Armageddon

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Anime Armageddon

The Funnest of Funs

Sleep questions. Trial added!

Bakura
    Bakura
    First Lieutenant

Male Posts : 1208

Sleep questions. Trial added! Empty Sleep questions. Trial added!

Post by Bakura

Hopefully, the proper spot. >.<

For a continuing little bit of research I'm doing to help improve my sleep;

How long does it take you all to fall asleep? *Note: From laying down, 'til you fall asleep.
    Do you have anything in particular you do before laying down?
    About how long do you stay asleep?
    Do you use an alarm to wake up?
    How do you feel after waking up?
    Any other comments you can think of?

Thanks. o-o

EDIT:
    Y'all should be able to see that then.

For those of you who are willing to try, and spend longer than 30 minutes trying to fall asleep, I give to you a trial. I've used this method twice now with great success, even if it was a touch uncomfortable given my own physical limitations.

Basically, all you have to do is, lay on your back, no pillow. Then take deep breaths, and count each time you exhale.

So, inhale, exhale 1. Inhale, exhale 2.

Etc... When you get to 10, start over at 1.
    So inhale, exhale 10. Inhale, exhale 1. Inhale exhale 2

If you think of anything, anything at all, start over with 1. Any thought. It could be as simple as, "Something smells funny" or, "My foot itches. =(". Thought = Start over!

Remember, when you take a deep breath, your gut should rise, not your chest.

Some explanation about why it helps; (Recommend to watch at least the first 5 minutes, but the whole video is best to see... plus, it might help your singing. xP)

If you can't do his exercise (I can't. A little too wide in the middle xP), simply lay down, and place a book on your gut until you can breathe in, and it raises upward, and not your chest.

Try it more than once before posting whether or not it helps. For those of you who have a better imagination and like to "count sheep", you can count past 10, but you still have to remember to take DEEP breaths per sheep, and to start over when a thought enters.

Last edited by Bakura on Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Share this post on: reddit

SammyTheBootlegger

Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:00 am by SammyTheBootlegger

It takes forEVER for me to fall asleep unless I'm utterly exhausted. Like, usually at least an hour.
    I usually end up watching anime for a little bit, or reading.
    Stay asleep?? Well that depends too. If there's no outside force waking me up, I can usually sleep for a good, solid six hours <3
    Hahaha, who needs an alarm when there's small children running around screeching every morning??
    Upon waking...Pretty groggy for 20 minutes or so, but I have to take my time and get up slowly (low blood pressure) or else I might stand up and promptly fall back down. So I'm not really sure I count toward the norm there.

I almost feel like I just participated in some sort of sleep study. Are you a spy?? Will this be used against us?!?

Bakura

Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:19 pm by Bakura

xD No, it won't be used against you. At least by me. o-o

I'm just curious as to the sleeping habits of others so that I may improve my own, that's all.

After all, it's become something I've gotten interested in since I've started my polyphasic sleep cycle. As mentioned somewhere in the "Personal" blogs.
    SammyTheBootlegger

Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:39 pm by SammyTheBootlegger

Ah, well If you're hoping to improve your sleep, certainly don't take advice from my pattern. ^^
    Bakura

Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:16 pm by Bakura

xD I'm just trying to get a general feel for how people fall asleep, mostly.

I have trouble actually falling asleep, regardless of how tired I am. xD

In any case, total, i'd begetting less sleep than you do. Something along the lines of 4 and a half hours a day, broken up into 90 minute periods where I'd do so every 6 and a half hours.

Believe the times I listed were... 4:30 - 6 AM. 12:30 - 2 PM. And... 8:30 - 10 PM.

Should be fun, and I'd get a lot of junk done. xD
    Bakura

Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:48 pm by Bakura

Added something to the topic!
    Mikel

Post Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:00 am by Mikel

i fall asleep pretty fast. usually.
    usually three hours to five. six, if i'm lucky.
    yes, i do use an alarm clock now. just because my schedule differs from time to time. my body can't make use of its own clock.
    i feel like sleeping again when i wake up.
    i don't usually fall back asleep the moment i wake up.
    SammyTheBootlegger

Post Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:46 pm by SammyTheBootlegger

(That dude speaks entirely too slow sometimes.)
    Bakura

Post Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:33 pm by Bakura

The one in the video? If so, I think it's because he's a teacher, and teachers tend to do that. o-o

@ Mikel - Get more sunlight? Sunlight helps regulate the circadian rhythm. If it can't use it's own clock, either your clock is broken, or it's just not on track with your own schedule.
    Mikel

Post Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:46 am by Mikel

yes, it's not on track with my own schedule. that's just it. but when my sched's pretty consistent, my body clock works just fine.
    Bakura

Post Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:25 pm by Bakura

That sucks then. I hate when that happens. Shame you can't just, "sleep when you're tired" anymore. People end up thinking you're weird. xP
    Mikel

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:06 am by Mikel

naw. i actually fall asleep as soon as i try to.
    Bakura

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:38 am by Bakura

By, "sleep when you're tired", I mean, "It's noon, I'm in school, I'm tired. I'ma sleep with zero repercussions. The teacher won't wake me up and I'll just get some form of makeup work to do after I awaken, or perhaps offer to go over it again with me after school, or during lunch."

There's such a stigma on sleeping during daylight hours, it's insane.
    Mikel

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:32 am by Mikel

i sleep during class. never has been a problem for me.
    Bakura

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:02 pm by Bakura

Everywhere I've been, they wake you up in the worst way they can think of. Maybe I just had evil teachers. xD

___
    Been reading more into how to improve sleep. Apparently, people breathe too much, and use too little of it. Truly healthy people breathe about 1-3 times per minute, and they don't really take in as much air.

“The perfect man breathes as if he is not breathing” ~Lao-Tzu

Other fun little things in there were... Breathing is controlled by Carbon Dioxide, not by the desire for more oxygen. As well, breathing in less air helps oxygenate you better than taking deep breaths. Hence the quote from Lao Tzu. Must look more into this... but apparently, these were studies performed in Russia during the 60's-70's ish era.
    neon kun

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:57 am by neon kun

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH :O
    Bakura

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:29 pm by Bakura

Allo there. xP
    neon kun

Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:33 am by neon kun

Ohhh. :O ola. you has problems sleeping? :O
    Bakura

Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:53 pm by Bakura

Yes. Very much so. It's part of why I'm starting my polyphasic sleep. It'd be a way to train myself to fall asleep, even when I'm not tired.

While I was going monophasic, it wasn't uncommon for me to spend anywhere up to 6 hours trying to fall asleep, at which time, I'd actually give up trying and end up staying awake all day.
    SammyTheBootlegger

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:14 pm by SammyTheBootlegger

Bakura wrote:Everywhere I've been, they wake you up in the worst way they can think of. Maybe I just had evil teachers. xD

___
    Been reading more into how to improve sleep. Apparently, people breathe too much, and use too little of it. Truly healthy people breathe about 1-3 times per minute, and they don't really take in as much air.

“The perfect man breathes as if he is not breathing” ~Lao-Tzu

Other fun little things in there were... Breathing is controlled by Carbon Dioxide, not by the desire for more oxygen. As well, breathing in less air helps oxygenate you better than taking deep breaths. Hence the quote from Lao Tzu. Must look more into this... but apparently, these were studies performed in Russia during the 60's-70's ish era.

Never in my entire life have I met or heard of someone that only breathes 3 times a minute. Although I have heard a few things about how a lot of people (specifically westerners) don't breath as deeply as they should.
    Bakura

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:17 pm by Bakura

The research I've read states that only about 10 percent of the population actually breathes like that.

Advanced Yogis (those who practice Yoga, for y'all who don't know xP) have incredibly health, and don't take deep breaths. They take full breaths, which are actually quite shallow. They state that people who take deep breaths, actually use less oxygen than those who breathe more shallowly.

But again, this is just what I'm reading. xD

But then again, this is me we're talking about... I have a complete distrust of the medical field. xD So when a study pops up showing something that is not the "norm", I will obviously look into it.
    KarateKeyaQ

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:10 am by KarateKeyaQ

It takes me quite a while to fall asleep. But I've been getting relatively worse. It went from 30 min-1 hour, to 3 hours and now I barely sleep. I've been up for 27 hours right now.

I don't really do anything particular besides wash my face and brush my teeth.

Depends on when I'm going to sleep and what I have to do the next day. Mostly, I get about 6 hours a day.

I use an alarm when I need it =)

Like crap!

I haven't read any of the above posts. Just wanted to answer the questions LOL.
    Bakura

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:40 am by Bakura

KKQ - Look into Sleep-Onset Insomnia.

xD And no problem. Reading the other replies isn't necessary to answer!

Post  by Sponsored content